Rich mideterannian flavor for a breakfast or light lunch
- September 29, 2018
- Print this
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion quartered and chopped
- 3 medium or 2 big bell peppers chopped
- 1 to 3 tablespoons harissa paste
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 medium garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 3 tomatoes chopped
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt 1-2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 4 to 6 large eggs
- Step 1
- Heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. When it shimmers, add onions and bell peppers cook until onions are softened and bell peppers begin to char, about 5 minutes.
- Step 2
- Stir in harissa paste, tomato paste, and garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Step 3
- Add peppers and stir to coat.
- Step 4
- Add tomatoes and salt and cumin and bring to a simmer.
- Step 5
- Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until flavors are melded, about 10 to 15 minutes. The sauce should be the consistency of tomato sauce.
- Step 6
- Stir in half of the parsley, create little wells in the sauce for each egg then break one eggs into each well.
- Step 7
- Cover and continue to cook for about 7 to 10 minutes, until the eggs are set. Sprinkle remaining parsley, season with freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately with bread.