Halloween kids snack: homemade mac-n-cheese served in bell peppers
- October 25, 2018
- Print this
- 1 pound pasta, such as farfalle, macaroni or shells
- Salt, as needed
- 4 tablespoons (55 grams) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (470 ml) milk, whole or 2% are best
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup (230 grams) pure pumpkin puree
- 8 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated (about 2 1/2 cups)
- Step 1
- Prepare sauce
- Step 2
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Step 3
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta as directed on package. (Usually between 7 and 10 minutes). Drain.
- Step 4
- Melt butter in a large, high-sided pan over medium heat. When the butter begins to bubble, add the flour. Cook, whisking constantly 2 to 3 minutes until the butter smells fragrant and nutty — the color of the butter-flour mixture will turn light brown.
- Step 5
- While whisking, slowly pour in the milk. Continue to cook, whisking constantly until the sauce bubbles and thickens. Season the sauce with a 1/2 teaspoon of salt, pepper, nutmeg, and mustard. Add the pumpkin puree and three-quarters of the grated cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth. Taste the sauce for seasoning and adjust with more salt or pepper.
- Step 6
- Mix the cooked pasta into the sauce until well coated then spoon into the prepared baking dish, top with remaining cheese.
- Step 7
- Bake the macaroni and cheese, uncovered, until golden brown on top, about 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.